The average persons mind is filled with countless thoughts, and therefore each individual one is extremely weak. When, in place of these many useless thoughts there appears only one, it is power in itself and has a wide influenceMeditation is an experience of inner peace that needs to be experienced to be understood. It is an experience of oneness, happiness and bliss. Yogis say that it is an experience of your own true nature. Meditation is an ancient practise in the modern day world, it is tried and tested and today is practised by millions of people throughout the world as a way of living in peace and harmony. Meditation is not a religion. Meditation is a natural peaceful state, practised on a daily basis it brings many positive changes into your daily life.
- Rama Maharishi
The world that we find ourselves living in is very competitive, fast and frantic, this can leave us with feelings of not being good enough, feeling overwhelmed and disconnected. We are overloaded with technology, the mind never truly rested, can leave us in a spin, running around in never ending circles, affecting our sleep patterns, our concentration levels and we lose our natural ability to relax. Often we find we are not reacting to circumstances in the best possible way, we tend to get carried along by our emotions and past conditioning, meditation can help change this. As we become present our minds not in a spin we find there is this moment where we can decide how to react to situations in the most appropriate way. Meditation makes more space for positive thoughts, feelings of happiness return for no reason and optimism about the future.
In Raja yoga meditation we learn first learnt to withdraw mental energy from the senses (pratyahara), this prepares the mind for meditation,then we concentrate the mind on a given object (Dharana) i.e. breath, visualisation, mantra etc the thought process naturally slows down leading you to experience meditation (Dhyana) – a feeling of peace, happiness and bliss. The effects of meditation are cumeratalive, also the more you practise the easier it becomes to slip into the relaxed but alert state, more benefits continue to unfold in your everyday life.
Based on the Raja Yoga system this course you will learn many different techniques that will lead to a state of meditation:
- You will learn to understand the nature and function of your own mind
- Breathing exercises to help calm the mind
- We will study the effects lifestyle and diet has on the mind
- Different meditations each week
- Group discussions
- Group meditation practise
- Introduction to Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras (wisdom for peaceful living)
A requirement for this course is a daily home practise of 20/30 mins meditation. Another requirement is to fill in a diary every day, this will be sent to you by email every Saturday, when completed at the end of each week sent back to me by email. This course will give you all the tools to help alleviate the stresses and strains of living in a competitive society, the tools for self transformation and all that you need for a sustainable home meditation practise.
You should sit in meditation for 20 minutes a day, unless you’re too busy; then you should sit for an hour.
- Old Zen Saying
Benefits of Practising Meditation
- Reduced levels of anxiety and stress
- Relief from many stress-related illnesses
- Increased intuition and empathy
- Enhanced feelings of love, joy, patience and compassion
- Your mind becomes more focused, it is easier to concentrate
- You find you have greater energy and stamina
- You need less sleep, yet feel more rested
- Body chemicals that promote healing are released into your system
- Feelings of loneliness,disconnection and isolation are eliminated
- Depression is dispelled ( this does not refer to clinical depression)
- Meditation promotes inner resilience, creativity and mental flexibility
- You gain insight into the nature of your mind and how to deal with it
- You experience and inner peace so deep that external circumstances rarely disturb it. Your capacity to be grounded in all conditions is enhanced
- You are more able to live in the present moment, without longing for the past or worrying about the future
- Life assumes a greater spiritual dimension
- You will have a greater a greater capacity to go beyond physical and mental pain.
- The capacity to experience the inter-connectedness to all life
- More clarity in daily life
- Able to access a profound inner stillness
- Overcome the noise of your busy mind
- Meditation assists you to go more deeply into the asana side of yoga practise
- Doubts and insecurities are dispelled
- Indecisiveness vanishes
Next course – Saturday 20th January – 24th March 2018 Cost £150
Deposit £60 balance due by 2nd January.
The group is small so booking early is advised.
Number of people on the course – Minimum of 6 Maximum 12.